> On 19 Dec 2021, at 10:48, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>
>> - of course Rexx on z/VM and z/OS can be seen as the interpreter version of
>> PL/I
>
> The apparent similarity to PL/I is a pitfall for the unwary. As an example,
> many have the erroneous belief that SIGNAL is the equivalent of GOTO, and
> don't understand what happened when it blows up in their faces. Superficial
> resemblance to an existing language can be a killer to those with habits
> derived from the old language.

Yes, generally that is true.

>> And its incompatible OO versions that need to be run in OS jails because
>> otherwise they mess up your OS image.
>
> To what does that refer? I know that there are compatibility issues between
> versions of Python, but the language is sort of object oriented out of the
> box and I'm not aware of any additional security issues caused by that.

Well, that is an interesting thing. There is still a difference between
versions 2 and 3 and there are numerous versions of libraries, but also, it is
advisable to give every application its virtual python environment, cf.
https://realpython.com/python-virtual-environments-a-primer/#why-the-need-for-virtual-environments
 . If you try to do real work with Python (for example, I quite like Jupyter
Notebooks ( https://ipython.org/notebook.html ) or the Arduino IDE - for
example on my Mac, there are the Python implementations from Apple, the one
that brew installs, and the one from anaconda. None of them work with
everything, they all have their incompatibilities. This is when you need the
virtual Python environments real quick. Some older stuff has not been updated
to the new Python - quite annoying.

Best regards,

René.