From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of Bob
Bridges [robhbrid...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 7, 2022 10:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Macro/script/program (Re: ... Re: Top 8 Reasons for using Python
instead of REXX for z/OS

When I first started learning ooREXX (not that long ago, and I still don't know
it well) I read that bit about "messages" that are apparently sent to methods
and properties and was confused.  My only object-oriented language at the time
was VB (the VBA and VBS varieties), and I thought of methods as merely
specialized function calls.

Really I still do, I guess.  I told myself provisionally that the tilde in
ooREXX is simply the equivalent of the period in a VBA method or property
reference, and although I'm pretty sure that isn't the whole story I was at
least able to continue on that basis.  I keep reading descriptions like the
below, though, thinking that more will sink in eventually.

---

/* This sad little lizard told me that he was a brontosaurus on his mother's
side.  I did not laugh; people who boast of ancestry often have little else to
sustain them.  Humoring them costs nothing and adds to happiness in a world in
which happiness is always in short supply.  -from the Notebooks of Lazarus Long
*/