On 07.01.2022 17:38, Seymour J Metz wrote:
> Some language purists claim that the messages are an intrinsic part of
> object-oriented programming. Check the documentation for Concurrency or for
> the REPLY instruction for some context.
>
> I always thought that object-oriented programming started with Simula 67 by
> way of Smalltalk, but according to wiki some of the concepts go back toDoug
> Ross's Automated Engineering Design/Algol Extended for Design. (AED).
>
>  * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_T._Ross#Computer-aided_design>
>  * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_design>
>  * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming>
>  * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simula>
>  * <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk#Messages>

Smalltalk is an interesting and important language as it has been having a
tremendous impact on the
proliferation of the terms such as "object" or "object orientation"
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smalltalk). You will also notice that Smalltalk
is based on the
message paradigm, which is a great paradigm as it helps to abstract from
implementations, allowing
them to be regarded as black boxes (which inner workings one does not need to
know), only the
protocol (the set of messages understood, i.e. the set of method routines that
can be invoked) need
to be known.

In this context it may be interesting to read the following about Alan Kay (cf.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Kay):

    "... Along with some colleagues at PARC, Kay is one of the fathers of the
idea of
    object-oriented programming
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming> (OOP),
    which he named. Some of the original object-oriented concepts, including
the use of the words
    'object' and 'class', had been developed for Simula
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simula> 67 at
    the Norwegian Computing Center
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Computing_Center>. Later
    he said:

        I'm sorry that I long ago coined the term "objects" for this topic
because it gets many
        people to focus on the lesser idea. The big idea is "messaging".

    ..."

ooRexx is another language that makes the message paradigm available, easying
the interaction with
different systems (on different systems) considerably.

---rony