It is my understanding that Java is and has been available in z/OS for a long
time now, but not from TSO or CLIST directly.  From REXX via SYSCALL and
BPXWUNIX I suspect it is possible, but not from, e.g., the TSO / ISPF command
line directly.

The python interpreter is I think going to be standard at z/OS 2.5, with I
think IBM's version and not Rocket's (unless IBM's is just a repackaging of the
Rocket version, which I do not know one way or the other).

My general impression is that you will be able to use python from the Unix
system services command line, but not directly from TSO or CLIST.  Obviously
also available in batch via one of the XXXBATCH programs (IBM's or Dovetail's).
 I run awk scripts in batch that way with no issues, though I often wish they
had gawk instead of the POSIX awk they now provide.

What I also wish IBM would provide as a standard component is the bash shell.
Their POSIX sh and tcsh are difficult for me to use, and I suspect for others
as well.  Knowledge of the bash shell is far more pervasive in the community
(and particularly in the generations following us) than either of the two
shells IBM now provides.

HTH

Peter