From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Saturday, January 29, 2022 9:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Directories on ft server with Hebrew names

On Sun, 30 Jan 2022 00:34:36 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Cut and paste is quite useful in dodging keyboard issues, as are various
>character map applications. Whiler my keyboard is configured as US
>International, that still doesn't give me, e.g., Hebrew, so I rely on pasting
>Hebrew text from other applications. Most of the virtual keyboard and
>character map applications that I've seen cover quite a few languages.

Similarly useful are graphic file managers such as ISPF which allow
users and admins to manipulate files difficult to access from keyboard
or command line.

In self-training long ago, I created with STOW some members with
"invalid" names then deleted them with ISPF prefix commands.
TSO or JCL just said, "Syntax Error".

I suspect that if Gadi were to "pax -w" his desktop folders then
"pax -r" on z/OS, pax -r might perform a fictitious ISO8859-1 -> IBM-1047
translation.  Then if he did a "ls" via ssn, ssh would undo the
translation and he'd see Hebrew names.  Less hope for ISPF 3.17.

--
gil