It depends on the background of the new Systems Programmers.  I’d keep it
simple and say its the volume(s) which the system is started from and contains
configuration information about the system being started.

I would relate terms like Initial Program Load to a process like Grub which
bootstraps the OS.  Then layer in the z/OS terminology.  throwing all new
acronyms makes understanding something based on new words more difficult.

Matt Hogstrom
m...@hogstrom.org

“Quantity has a quality all its own.”
— Joseph Stalin