all the answers are great, the LOAD address on the HMC, the DASD volume used to IPL, and I'd add the volume that you initialize using ICKDSF to load the BOTTSTRAP, it contains the NIP, no pun intended, NUC INITIAL PROGRAM, IIRC, that create the initial address space to load the operating system. NIP loads SYS1.NUCLEUS.

Carmen

On 2/14/2022 5:37 PM, Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw wrote:
I think the sysres is the volume on the device address specified as the IPL
device.
Lennie Dymoke-Bradshaw
https://rsclweb.com 'Dance like no one is watching. Encrypt like everyone is.'

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List<IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>  On Behalf Of
PINION, RICHARD W.
Sent: 14 February 2022 21:20
To:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Definition of z/OS SYSRES volume

I did a little online searching.  But, I didn't see anything that helped.
How would you define the "SYSRES volume"?  I want to give a good definition
to new system programmers.
Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally
privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient(s), or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this
dissemination, distribution, or copying of this e-mail message is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and delete this e-mail message from your computer.

tolists...@listserv.ua.edu  with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

send email tolists...@listserv.ua.edu  with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN

--
/I am not bound to win, but I am bound to be true. I am not bound to succeed, but I am bound to live by the light that I have. I must stand with anybody that stands right, and stand with him while he is right, and part with him when he goes wrong. *Abraham Lincoln*/