From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Phil Smith III [li...@akphs.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2022 1:39 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: AUXLIST (was XEDIT equivalent to ISPF C - OO/OO (copy overlay))

Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>Bad definition.  XEDIT shouldn't entice users to enter data that

>t won't "take".  The field should have the read-only attribute.

>Is there any rationale for making it writable?

Well, it's not a separate field: this is 3270, so there would be an
attribute byte on the screen between column 71 and 72 if it were R/O (a
fundamental design flaw in the 3270 protocol IMHO, but 45+ years too late to
fix). TRUNC lets you SEE stuff without being able to change it, which can be
A Good Thing.

As I said, I changed it for me 40 years ago, so I'd certainly agree that
it's bogus. There was actually a small rework of those defaults in XEDIT at
one point, but this one didn't make it, apparently.