Gil wrote, in part:

>Or a credit card space-separated in groups of four.  (The field is
>only 16 characters.)

Yeah, just dumb. -1 for the limitation; -10 when they don't tell you before
you enter it; -100 when they don't tell you AFTER you enter it and make you
guess. There are plenty of pages that don't like, say, semicolons in text
fields, but just sit there and say "NO" if you use one. Nobody tests nothin'
no mo'. I blame (fr)Agile.

Of course card PANs will be going to 18 digits at some point. The brands
already tried to do that, and the issuers screamed, so now we have 8-digit
BINs. If any of you have had a Visa or Mastercard reissued with a new number
for no apparent reason lately, that's probably why: they clawed back some
6-digit BIN ranges that were underutilized and are reissuing them as 8-digit
BINs. So if you were an issuer and had Visa BINs:

411111

422222

433333

but had only issued a few thousand cards in the 433333 range, Visa may have
told you "You have to give 433333 back and reissue those cards with some
other BIN". Then they'll issue 99 8-digit BINs in the range 43333300 through
43333399 to other issuers. In some cases I suppose it's possible that an
8-digit BIN will simply get converted to 8-digit-that is, if our putative
issuer above had issued their few thousand cards all in 43333301, then they
might get told "OK, you can keep that BIN but don't use any others in the
433333 range", though my guess is that the brands will not take the risk
that the issuer will get that wrong. Easier to just say "No more 433333 for
a while".

Anyway, stay tuned for 18-digit BINs, coming soon(ish)! I didn't notice when
they went from 13 to 16, but I do remember a 13-digit Visa number of mine
from the 90s (yes, that's a *really useful* way to spend what's left of my
memory!).