Subject to the proviso that once you've found the proximate cause of the S0C4
as some anomaly, you'll probably still need to track down the cause of that
anomaly.

There used to be a student compiler for FORTRAN IV that initialized storage to
bad parity and put out an "uninitialized" message if you read that storage
before you set it.

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3

From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Peter Relson [rel...@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2022 8:16 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: S0C4 pic 4

> I would think the only way to prove is do a IVSK on the referenced storage
Your thought is wrong, but showing exactly what you tried and exactly what
results you got (not by paraphrasing and describing, but by copy and paste)
would, as we almost always seem to need to tell you, help.

>Storage key is a different matter only way is ISVK or if you are not
>authorized VSMLOC
Incorrect. SVC Dump and SYSMDump records include the key of the storage so that
that information can be reported upon.
And abend dumps would not include in a dump any storage to which you did not
have read access (i.e., fetch protected in some key other than yours).

There are not very many choices of what you did wrong.
The most likely is that you were not addressing the storage that you thought
you were addressing.
Then there's the possibility that you were not using the instruction you
thought you were using.
Then there's the possibility that the register(s) you were looking at were not
the right registers.
Etc.
If true that it's not an instruction that stores, page-protection cannot be the
reason.

The time of error PSW and time of error failing instruction and time of error
registers, coupled with displaying the storage in question from the dump (or
finding it not there) is almost always enough to tell what went wrong.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design