On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 10:09:49 -0600, Wendell Lovewell wrote:

>>>Except for instream data sets.  Are you actually commenting
>>>your instream data in that fashion‽
>
>I'm keeping source code on the PC, so the compiles and other types of jobs
>often include the source code itself in the jobstream.   I do have comments
>past 80 in the program source.

Most languages have syntactic constructs for that:
o In POSIX shell, introduce the comment with "#"
o In Assembler or JCL, separate the comment from the
  variable field with a blank (or just code it in column 72
  and beyond.)
o In C or Rexx, surround it with "/* ... */".

A few extra keystrokes which:
o Make it easier for a reviewer to understand
o Make it possible to compile directly from the
  member without stripping when desired
o Avoid the pitfall of inadvertently crossing column
  72 or 80 when inserting or deleting text
o allow coding statements longer than 80 characters
  when that's the logical or intuitive format.

ISPF Edit SUBmit truncates beyond column 80 with
no warning.  I've lost data to that.

--
gil