On Thu, 17 Mar 2022 15:43:10 +0400, Peter <dbajava...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Could someone please direct me on which SMF record can produce the report
>showing the highest CPU consumers who caused the memory shortage ?
>
>Today in one of our LPARs address space was recursively abending and it
>monopolized the memory due to which TCPIP couldnt Dispatch the unit of work
>and the Connectivity went down for a while.
>
>After canceling the abending Address space the LPAR started functioning
>back and it was evident that the memory got relieved once the address space
>was cancelled.
>
>Is there any SMF records which can tell me the memory consumption of the
>address space which made the other Address space not to dispatch the UOW ?
>This report basically will help me to show to my management people who dont
>understand mainframe.
>
>Regards,
>Peter

You can analyze/report on z/OS address space (interval) activity / consumption
from the SMF type 30 subtypes 2 for long-running job-steps/task-steps (those
active longer than your SMF 30 recording interval defined in PARMLIB SMFPRMxx).

This condition occurred recently at a site I support (second time in less than
2 months), where the obvious symptom was in the SYSLOG with a CICS STORAGE
VIOLATION - that precipitated SMF 110 subtype 1 (CICS transaction) record
flooding for an extended period (up to an hour) - so seeing the spike in
CPU-consumption (looping transaction activity) was the first symptom and also
there are various REGION/MEMORY metrics in the same data source.

Scott Barry
SBBTech LLC