A description of the intended use of the different data elements is contained
in chapter 2 of the SMPE Reference document (SA22-7772-13 for my z/OS 1.11
system).  The generic elements are described in a chart that stats on page 10.
The elements that have special meaning to SMPE have their own sections that
discuss the corresponding MCS.

Be aware, the manual describes only the intended use.  Vendors and customers
are free to abuse the types as they want.  One vendor product delivers
options/parameters, macros, procs, etc all as MAC.

> Related to the foregoing, and
> (2)  Again, in the smp/e  dialog “query” context,  How does one access
> the info for some of those critters you find in Unix System Services?
> E.g., in the /bin directory, there’s an executable  called   “zcat”  .
> when I try to do the cross-zone query  using  an entry type of “HFS”
> for an “entry name = zcat”, I get no hit. same-same for UNIX1 UNIX2
> UNIX3 UNIX4 UNIX5,  (the other ‘entities’ that struck me as possibly
> being relevant, given that they are called ‘unix*’  …. ).
> How is one supposed to know what entity type to use for Unix system
> Services stuff?  (java stuff shows up in entry type HFS, but routine
> executables, DLLs don’t seem to) .

I can hardly ever tell whether a data element is in the common element type
(such as PNL) or the corresponding language specific element type (PNLENU).  To
eliminate wasted queries, I save the listing from the LIST ALLZONES command so
I can search for what I am looking for without having to guess where to query.
Once you do this, you will know where, or if, zcat is located in your CSI.