From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2022 9:14 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: View ASCII Command inUSS

On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 08:46:50 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>> Can the behavior be replicated with /bin/sh?
>
>Worth a try.

Indeed.  If the same bug exists in both shells Rocket is likely
to fix it sooner than IBM.

>The fact that it's using pipe operators implies the shell is in play.

I *believe* pipe is a kernel facility which shell invokes with C RTL
calls (pipe(); fork(); exec(); dup2; ... ).  Shell doesn't actually move
the data.  But there's plenty wiggle room in the options shell
supplies to those C RTL calls: it might be able to enable/disable
autoconversion or tag the descriptors with CCSIDs (incorrectly?)

An IBM expert averred long ago on MVS-OE that the actual
conversion is performed by kernel.

--
gil