On Wed, 13 Apr 2022 14:19:48 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>I suspect a bug with bash. You should post your repeatable test case on
>Rockets z/OS Open Source Ported Tools forum. Can you enter bash
>--version to get the version. I know Rocket recently released a new
>ASCII version of bash using their z/OS port of gcc.

Can the behavior be replicated with /bin/sh?

The OP posted a case later than the one you cited, largely
"iconv file | head".  He needed to add "-B" to "head" to
make it work.  I don't see shell involvement there.  But
does bash supply unsolicited arguments to utilities?

Appendix L describes too many knobs and levers.

--
gil