On 4/18/22 12:08 AM, David Crayford wrote:
Hardware geeks like to buy hardware. It's a bit like asking me why I want to own a Sinclair Spectrum or a BBC Micro when I can run ZX Spectrum emulator in a browser or install RetroPie on one of my Raspberry Pi's! Emulation is just not the same experience.

I *ABSOLUTELY* agree.

However, I'm thinking about the overlap between hardware (A) / not hardware (B) and mainframe (1) / not mainframe (0) interest diagrams. If th OP is A* then hardware is a good thing. If the OP is *1, then emulation /might/ be a better introduction.

If someone is very much B1 and wanting to migrate to A1 then the CEC is probably a good way to go about it.

I'm afraid that taking on both hardware (A) and mainframe (1) at the same time is a big step. Especially when there are things that will require more effort / persuasion / coercion to make them work. An emulator /might/ be a better entry point.

Sort of like why I wouldn't want a new sysprog to do a sysgen on day 1.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die