From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of zMan
Sent: Wednesday, May 4, 2022 9:51 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: SAF without an ESM

On https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos-basic-skills?topic=zos-what-is-saf , IBM
says:

> System authorization facility or SAF is an interface defined by MVS™ that
> enables programs to use system authorization services to control access to
> resources, such as data sets and MVS commands. SAF either processes
> security authorization requests directly or works with RACF®, or other
> security product, to process them.

Someone on r/mainframe asks what SAF does without an ESM. I'm thinking "not
much", but the last sentence above sort of suggests otherwise--unless "SAF
either processes security authorization requests directly" means "returns
RC=0 in all cases", in which case it would be accurate but IMHO overly
vague. Thoughts?