Enzo,

If you really want to do something outstanding (i.e. impress a university
admissions committee), that doesn't require any hardware or operating system
software beyond the z114, consider writing code that runs "on metal." This is
commonly done in engineering for architectures such as ARM.

You can easily create a CD or DVD on a PC and then IPL it from the HMC. The
process of doing this will be much more doable than trying to learn the z114
hardware and any operating system at the same time; in which case learning any
operating system will eclipse learning the z114. Once you  know the z114
architecture, learning operating systems will be much easier; or you could go
the route of creating new ways to exploit the z114 hardware and architecture,
if you really want to do something amazing.

If you learn the hardware first, then the operating system software, your
learning curve will be more reasonable and your exploration more unique,
original, and result in you truly "groking" mainframes.

Writing an IPLable CD/DVD is well documented and if you have your own z114
really easy. This is kind of access is very rare for production mainframe
people.

If you need more information on creating an IPLable CD/DVD and how to use the
HMC to IPL it, let me know.

Once you are able to create a CD/DVD that IPLs, you can iteratively expand its
functionality to explore more and more of the Z architecture beyond anything
any operating system that runs on a z114 would allow you to do.

Good Luck,
Harry