I am talking about classic MVS datasets all the time;
not sure about USS files.

With classic MVS datasets (RECFM=FB), the C runtime supports large blocks
even with short record lengths. That is, if you do fopen ("dd:outfile", "wa"), a file allocated to OUTFILE which has some records already (in a block which is not filled up completely) will be filled before the next empty block is allocated.

At least, this is my understanding, and everything else would be a shock for me.

There should be no difference in behaviour (in principle), no matter if you
are writing to a classic MVS dataset or to a USS file.

Kind regards

Bernd