On 19/06/2022 1:33 am, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jun 2022 09:51:45 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:
I picture writing the started task in Rexx, so I would have to write to a DD
name allocated to the UNIX file (either dynamically or with JCL), not with
"native" C fopen(), fwrite(), etc. Does that change any of the answers?

Why?  In Rexx you can "address SYASCALL write ..." instead.

Why REXX? Is it a case of knowing the banjo so you play Stairway to Heaven in the style of Earl Schruggs?

Why not use IBMs z/OS Python? You can then use SQLite instead of a file which will significantly simplify writing reports. In fact, it would trivial to serve those reports as a REST API and put a nice WebUI on top using a simple template that supports data tables.

There seems to be a convention where the reporting process rename()s the
log file. The logging process (daemon?) (task?!) continues to write to the
open descriptor until it closes it, conventionally by a SIGHUP(!?) from the
reporting process.  The logger then open( ,O_CREAT + O_APPEND)s a
new instance and the reporting process reports from the renamed one.
No data drops through a timing window
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGHUP#Modern_usage>.

o When I wear my MVS hat, I can't grok fork().
o When I wear my UNIX hat, I can't grok ENQ.
o If I put on both hats, my brain overheats.