From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Paul Gilmartin [0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu]
Sent: Monday, June 20, 2022 2:27 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Some UNIX file usage questions

On Tue, 21 Jun 2022 02:10:13 +0800, David Crayford wrote:

>I think I understand what Charles is doing.
>
>context = copies('00'x,200) <-- state for HLASM program
>wait_time = 30
>
>do forever
>     res = console(context, wait_time)
>     select
>       when res = 'T' then iterate
>       when res = 'P' then leave
>       otherwise ...
>    end
>end

Thanks for the pseudocode.  I assume that "console()" is the Assembler
code, not shown.

Are you assuming that the address, not merely the content of "context"
will be unchanged between successive calls to "console()"?  I find
no guarantee of that.

Of course, "console()" might obtain storage and stash its address in "context".

--
gil