On Tue, 28 Jun 2022 14:42:45 -0700, Charles Mills wrote:

>I am still not quite understanding the usage of Rexx variables with SYSCALL.
>
>If myFileName = "/u/myfile" then do I want to code
>
>"SYSCALL open myFileName" or "SYSCALL open" myFileName  ?

address SYSCALL "open" myFileName  /* Rexx evaluates myFileName.  */

>In other words, does myFileName get passed by value, or does SYSCALL do an
>IRXEXCOM to find its value from its name?

Not really.
    say myFileName  /* Rexx evaluates.  */

>Ditto for SYSCALL write. The example on
>https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.1.0?topic=scd-write shows
>
>"write" fd "buf"
>
>Which makes no sense to me at all. fd is passed by value but "buf" by name?

Both by value.
    string = "Hello world"ESC_N
    address SYSCALL "write 1 (string)"

Specifying a syscall command
    Specifying strings
        A variable name enclosed in parentheses.
        Strings that contain both the single quotation mark and
        double quotation mark characters must be stored in a variable,
        and you must use the variable name.

--
gil