REXX is never the right language unless you have no choice, such as using an API such as SDSF or an environment such as Netview.

On 30/06/2022 11:21 am, Charles Mills wrote:
Charles knows C++ so I don't understand why he would pick REXX
One factor is that my deployment machine does not have a C++ compiler and does
not share DASD with my development machine. So for C++ the cycle is

- Edit in IDE on Windows
- Build in IDE on Windows; get to clean compile
- Upload to development machine
- Build on z/OS (hopefully no z-specific errors; if so, iterate)
- Copy load module from development to deployment (complex load module FTP)
- Test
- Repeat as necessary

For Rexx OTOH the cycle is
- Edit in text editor in Windows
- Upload to deployment machine (simple ASCII text upload)
- Test
- Repeat as necessary

You need a better IDE. I recommend Intellij.

A much faster development cycle.

I built, tested and deployed the new HLASM module and the Rexx code in about 13 hours billable
(including all the discussion here). I doubt that I could have done that with C++. There is more to
"best language for the job" than elegance, conciseness, "modernness" and
efficiency of execution.

For Python there is no way of knowing, but I think I might have spent that much time trying to get Python downloaded and
installed. IBM manages to make the most simple tasks difficult. For one of the two machines I would have had a
"business" or "legal" issue that might have taken 13 hours; certainly would have taken weeks elapsed. And
that is before any "learning Python" issues. I am sure it is a wonderful language, but I think it is wishful
thinking to say "see, you had some API issues with Rexx; therefore you would have been better off with Python." I
suspect I might have had some API issues with my first Python program. <g>

Also, I get great Rexx community support right here on this forum. Where would I go for
mainframe-specific Python community support? I'm sure there is some relevant forum, but
how active is it? OT, but I have gotten pretty unhappy with Stack Overflow. Too many
questions there now seem to draw a "not a perfect question" rebuke from some
self-important moderator.

BTW, I do think I might want to learn Python. I bought an O'Reilly textbook. I
have a six-hour flight coming up, and I think that it might be just perfect for
learning Python.

Charles