On the very rare occasion (like once in 15 years) where we really needed to recover data off a ML2 tape using backup CDS data sets, We ran our stand-alone "one-drive" test system in a SysProg test LPAR to restore the related CDS datasets, fire up DFHSM, recall the needed datasets off of the ML2 tape to test system volumes, and port the datasets by some means back to the system that needed them (where they could be re-migrated if appropriate).  That way you avoid running DFHSM with old CDS data sets that are inconsistent with a production environment, with access to production datasets , and all the considerable risks that entails.

In our case it wasn't a hardware problem, but by some accident an important dataset on ML2 got deleted, yet we were able to locate a physical ML2 tape still containing the logically-deleted dataset and corresponding backup copies of the CDS datasets that reflected its presence on the tape.  In those days our tape drives weren't in a library, so varying a single drive on-line to a stand-alone test LPAR was easy.

If you can identify the ML2 data sets that are involved, the first step is is ask the data set owners whether they can tolerate the loss of the data set or whether they have easy means of rebuilding the data.  Some datasets are retained just-in-case and may have already passed their potential usefulness.  We ran into several cases over the years where Applications Programming decided they had better alternatives when they learned recovery of a specific "lost" data set could potentially be done from our DR volume backups or by DFHSM "time travel", but would require some major magic on our test LPAR and the better part of a work day.

    Joel C. Ewing