From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> on behalf of
Tony Thigpen <t...@vse2pdf.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2022 12:45 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU>
Subject: Re: AWS and IDRC/compression

I am working with my VTA vendor to reduce storage usage on the
appliance. Currently, they can compress after the unmount and uncompress
before the mount. But, this takes time, especially when servicing the
mount request if the tape is large.

I was thinking that doing an IDRC implementation, which is stream based
and performed during write/read, it might be faster even if it's not
compresses as much as with their current method.

But, if the AWS file is not compatible with IBM's implementation, then
it's going to add a step to send them the file. The current compressed
files can be uncompressed using standard linux tools.

Tony Thigpen