HC infrastructure does not access datasets other than those that you tell it to
(such as logstream dataset(s) and the persistent data dataset).
I can't speak about the check routines themselves, but well-behaved health
checks running within the HZSPROC address space do not open datasets (and I
know of no IBM-owned checks that violate that). I differentiate that from
"remote" checks (which, as their designation suggests, run in a "remote"
address space).

<snip>
my coworkers stopped HZSPROC because it was repeatedly issuing the message that
ECSA usage was high
</snip>

The message is issued only as frequently as the check is configured by you to
run, and only according to the threshold that you have identified.
Stopping HZSPROC is surely the wrong reaction to this specific situation. If
you simply don't want this check to run because you're aware of the problem
then deactivate the check or change its parameters.

<snip>
It looked like batch jobs were stuck in allocation or deallocation...
</snip>

That is simply not going to happen due to anything HC itself does.
But if you have not gathered diagnostic data to try to figure out what truly is
happening, you're only going to be able to guess.

Peter Relson
z/OS Core Technology Design