On Fri, 26 Aug 2022 at 17:19, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Open Text, at our shop, is the 3270 emulator that Tech Services uses. It
> was known as Hummingbird or Host Explorer.

Which, iirc, was the TN3270 program developed at McGill U. by Pierre
Goyette.

> On Fri, Aug 26, 2022, 08:49 Carmen Vitullo <petevi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Interesting, I've had some dealing with MF, tons of $$$ and years of
> > time thrown at a POC that could not provide any viable solution
> >
> > I think I've hear of Open Text, I'll have to check them out
>

> > On 8/26/2022 8:34 AM, Bob T Roller wrote:
> > > Yesterday, Micro Focus was taken out by a company named Open Text.
> > > Micro Focus was a poorly run company.

Open Text has its roots in the late 1980s at the University of Waterloo.
The founders were involved in the project to digitize the Oxford English
Dictionary (OED), and I think the core of them still runs the company, so
at least they're not just hired C-suite guns.

Interestingly, IBM, and specifically Mike Cowlishaw, was also involved in
the OED project. I remembering bumping into Mike I think at a SHARE in the
1990s where someone from Waterloo was also present, and each basically
taking the attitude (not face-to-face, but separately to me when I asked)
that *they* were doing the real work, and the other guys were just doing
peripheral stuff.

I believe the Waterloo stuff involved smart tagging of parts of speech,
whereas IBM developed the LPEX editor, among other things, to allow smart
editing of the tagged Waterloo data. Quite probably some older IBMers here
know more about that history.

I know nothing about Micro Focus, but in the last couple of days' news:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-open-text-micro-focus-acquisition/
“This is the right company and right opportunity, with amazing products,
strong talent, marquee customers and valuable intellectual property – and a
business that can gain value in the Open Text software system,” Open Text
chief executive officer Mark Barrenechea said on a conference call with
analysts late Thursday.

And a day later:
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-open-text-stocks-acquisition-micro-focus/
"Open Text shares sink in wake of US$2.1-billion acquisition of Micro Focus
amid growth concerns".

Tony H.