Yes, I think I read it was a class project! That sure beat the simple programs we had to write when I was taking computer classes.

Around 1996 I was looking for something easier to use than the company terminal emulator we were provided, and I ended up getting "Distinct Intelliterm" for $150, still available today. Months later I was surprised to see it looked just like Pierre's work. So maybe McGill's was sold/copied to multiple vendors at the time.