Larry, I'll let others provide summaries and links, however, I'd say
mainframes are definitely here to stay. IBM and its operating systems may
have been around for many years, but IBM has done an excellent job of
modernizing both hardware and software. When you invoke some software,
whether by mouse click, enter key, or some other means, somewhere some
software must run on some hardware. When milliseconds count, you cannot
beat IBM z/OS technology. And, no, I am not an IBMer.

However, the last production site I worked at (now a software developer for
MVS/Quickref), milliseconds counted. Our management objective was response
times of 0.5 seconds or less. We ran 23M transactions per day, using z/OS,
CICS, Db2, MQ and did so in an average of 0.39 seconds per transaction.
Response time on a web frontend that initiated that transaction might be
substantially greater, but it was not the application doing the work that
was slow. I am unaware of any other platform capable of giving that type of
response. These were not simple applications. Most, if not all, banking,
insurance, and other financial applications run on IBM z/OS. I, personally,
do not believe it is going anywhere anytime soon. It is a shame that most
educational institutions have abandoned teaching mainframe languages and
technologies.

Ramsey