From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Joseph Reichman
Sent: 07 September 2022 13:13
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: VSMLIST question

EXTERNAL EMAIL

Hi

Its my understanding that when code the following (below the code for VSMLIST)
what gets returned in my work area is the both an allocated followed by free
storage this is what on understand from bullet 4 specified in the authorized
Assembler guide page 240

So for example I could get a block descriptor 00000001  7FFFFF88 00001000
00000001 7FFFFFF88 00000500    now it my understanding the
first 12 bytes is the allocated block descriptor

However when I do a VSMLOC on that address I get nothing return in the TCB=
field

I am running this code in SRB mode and move the storage I get returned to 64
bit memory object

thanks

                Code for VSMLIST

                       LGF   R8,PSAAOLD              Get Home ASCB

                       LGF   R8,ASCBASXB-ASCB(,R8)   Get asxb

                       LGF   R8,ASXBFTCB-ASXB(,R8)   Get First tcb

                       LGF   R8,TCBJSTCB-TCB(,R8)

                 Here id the VSMLIST invocation

                     SAM31

                     VSMLIST SP=PVT,

                          WKAREA=((R6),4096),

                          SPACE=FREE,

                          TCB=((R8),ALL)

                    CH    R15,=H'4'

                    BH    EXITLST

                    SAM64

From the Authorized Assembler guide page 240

      This figure describes the work area that VSMLIST produces when you use
SP=PVT. Note: 1. The number of subpools in the private area is a 31-bit number.

                  2. The address of the TCB is contained in a fullword.

                  3. Figure 37 on page 218 shows the format of the allocated
storage information for the subpools owned by each TCB.
The storage information begins at offset 0, "number of subpools" in that figure.

                  4. If you specify SPACE=FREE, free space information follows
each allocated block descriptor. Figure 42 on page
221 describes the format of the free space information.

                  Code for VSMLOC

                        SAM31

                        VSMLOC PVT,AREA=((R3),(R4)),TCB=TCBW