You may be right; I've never had occasion to try write OO programs on the
mainframe.  But when I write classes in VBA, I'm not thinking primarily of
sending messages between GUI objects (though you may argue that's exactly what
I'm doing whether I think of it that way or not); to me it seems that the chief
value of classes and class methods is a way of organizing my subroutines and
functions and limiting their scope to particular uses - which seems to me would
be useful in some mainframe programs I write just as well as in Excel.

I gather some OO languages are available to OMVS users here; what do the rest
of you say?

---

/* From four miles away, the scene was mystifying, surreal. The rocket moved --
it seemed to levitate, inching upward on a tower of incandescent fire -- but
there was no sound, only the unsuspecting gulls wheeling in the silent sky. And
then the surface of the lagoon in front of the press grandstand suddenly
rippled as the shock wave flashed across, thudded into the chests of the
spectators, shook the ground beneath their feet and filled their skulls with a
crackling thunder that overwhelmed the atmosphere itself. To the million souls
who watched dumbstruck as the great machine ascended, there could not have been
the slightless doubt that this thing was leaving the planet.  -from "Angle of
Attack", a description by Mike Gray of the launch of Apollo 11 */