imho, using the LE framework is an excellent idea for beginning assembler
programming.  You can actually do "Hello World!" in just a few more lines
than C.  And it lets you defer the gritty details of linkage and DCBs and
such until after some visible results are obtained.  It's almost as easy as
ASSIST or SPASM from back in the day.

sas