On 24/09/2022 7:09 am, Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Fri, 23 Sep 2022 23:18:21 +0200, Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

Many thanks for these links;

I especially appreciate the tutorials by Brian Will "Object-Oriented
Programming is Bad",
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM

Far worse is the attempt to use OO techniques in non-OO languages.

What nonsense! JavaScript didn't get classes until ES6 but everybody was implementing objects using closures and the prototype. Same with Lua, no classes but OO can be implemented using meta-tables.

"Where is this function called?"
"A pointer to it is saved in a struct."
After that, it's anyone's guess.

In a language like C which lacks generics how would you write a generic data structure library without using function pointers for comparators?

the tips how to improve procedural programming from minute 33 ca.
This is so true, but certain tips require a language more powerful than C,
for example PL/1 or Pascal, which supports nesting of procedure and
function definitions.

I sometimes perceive nested procedure definitions as a primitive ancestor
of Objects -- they contain data and methods (so does a DCB.)
I suspect language designers eschew nested procedures for the poor
excuse that a procedure must be identified by two pointers, not just one.

I also liked the term "curly brace languages", which I never heard
before :-)

Which is PL/I?

Even if you don't agree with the opinions expressed here, it is IMO of
great value to look at these videos.