Illinois does use one time zone.  Indiana has always used multiple
time zones.  Some counties have chosen not to use daylight savings
time until 2006 mandatory use..  Various counties have chosen to
switch time zones, daylight savings use.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

Various other states do use multiple time zones, with counties
changing zones, but always using daylight savings, except Arizona (too
hot in afternoons to go out) and Hawaii.

Canada and Mexico generally follow US zone boundary and daylight
saving switches.  Russia has several time zones, but most have adopted
a 2 hour change at the boundary.  China is one very large time zone,
resulting in a 3 hour change at a far western border crossing.  A few
countries have adopted a 30 minute offset and one a 15 minute offset.
Kiribati is +14 so they share the same day of week with New Zealand,
while at the same time as Hawaii.

https://www.worldtimezone.com/index24.php

On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 6:43 AM Paul Gilmartin
<0000042bfe9c879d-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Sep 2022 06:27:56 -0500, John McKown wrote:
>
> >On Wed, Sep 21, 2022 at 6:02 AM Mark Jacobs wrote:
> >> Just curious why JES2 displays the value as a UTC timestamp and not local
> >> time.
> >I guess the date could be rendered in the local time of the datacenter. But
> >that could confuse people in other time zones. Or even in the same time
> >zone because some places, like Illonis do not use daylight time.
> >
> Illonis?  Perhaps Arizona, except for the Navajo Nation,
> except for the Hopi Reservation:
> <https://timegov.boulder.nist.gov/?t=24>
>
> Really, the user ought to be allowed to select the timezone to support
> a mega datacenter used in multiple time zones, as in modern systems.
>
> --
> gil

Mike A Schwab, Springfield IL USA