On 2/10/22 01:31, Charles Mills wrote:
We LOVE Python.

When is IBM going to love it enough to ship it and document it as though they
loved it?

You can order Python via zShop and install it via SMP/E or download a pax file. That's choice right there.

What's wrong with the doc? https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/python-zos/3.10 has all the information I need to install, customize and build extensions.

For z/OS specific Python libraries the doc is either shipped with the product so as ZAOU or for open source projects with the code in a repository. For example, the Python DB2 library and doc can be found on Github https://github.com/ibmdb/python-ibmdb. z/OS specific doc here https://github.com/ibmdb/node-ibm_db#configure-odbc-driver-on-zos. This is standard for any open source project. I understand that may be uncomfortable to folks that have no experience working with open source.

Another example is https://github.com/ambitus/pyzkiln which is maintained by IBMers from Poughkeepsie but part of the OMP. Anybody interested in writing Python libraries that include calling HLASM should take a look at that repo.

Honestly, I don't see what the issue is with doc? It's no different to Java. If I need doc for the JRE I read the Oracle doc. If I need doc for Python I head on over to the Python doc. Everything I need for z/OS is covered.

(Rhetorical question. I know that David does not know the answer.)

Charles

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of David Crayford
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2022 11:09 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: IBM SMF Export with Python

I know Python is not well received on this forum but as an example of
IBMs investment they have announced a new Python toolkit to process SMF
data using Jupyter notesbooks, an industry standard visualization tool
for analytics and machine learning. I understand many people consider
this stuff buzz words and fads but if you dig in a bit it's very cool.

https://zos-hot-topics.com/2022/SMF-Explorer/