On 3/10/22 07:18, Farley, Peter x23353 wrote:
As the OP of the other thread on python documentation, let me answer that what
I expected from IBM for python documentation was the same sort of Language
Reference and Programmers Guide manuals as they provide for all of the other
major programming languages that they support.  My understanding at the moment
is that that hasn't been done and is not likely to be done.

Where, for instance, in the documentation that you linked to is there information on
whether the python "open()" function for files will or will not support direct
access to MVS datasets without transferring them down to the Unix file system?  I.E.,
are either of these calls to the open() function valid or not:

Where is the language reference and programming language for Java on z/OS? There isn't one, so why would Python be any different? The only language references and guides you will find for Java is for products such as DB2 or for z/OS specific toolkits such as JZOS.

There are no z/OS specific modifications to Python other than patches for the build. If you want to open an MVS data set then write a package using cutils to directly reference the C RTL without writing a single line of C code. Once you have a library put it on pypi so everybody can download it using "pip". Why do you expect IBM to provide the function? They are working on a completely new set of tooling and have limited resources.

https://medium.com/python-supply/working-with-foreign-functions-ee3b5e40f2ca

Myfile = open("//'MVS.DATA.SET.NAME", "rt", ccsid="1047")

Myfile = open("//:DDNAME", "rt", ccsid="1047") # This of course assumes that a call to
"bpxunix" (or by other means) has been used to establish a DD allocation in the AS where the python program
is executing

In other words, where are the z/OS-specific enhancements to the standard python
functions and libraries documented (assuming there are any such enhancements,
which I am beginning to doubt)?  For other IBM-supported programming languages,
that information would probably be available in the Language Reference manual
and practical examples and performance-enhancing advice would be provided in
the Programmers Guide manual.

The first link that you provided is fine for the systems programmer who
installs the language on z/OS, but has basically nothing relevant for the
python application programmer.

The "zoautil_py" library does provide some "direct access" to MVS datasets for python programs, but the package is
quite "heavyweight" and consumes a large amount of elapsed and CPU time to use, as recent experimentation I have performed
clearly showed.  I found that downloading an MVS dataset to the Unix file system with the "zowe" CLI interface and accessing that
file with "normal" python file access functions proved far less expensive than using the "zoautil_py" functions to
access the same data.  Nowhere in the IBM-provided ZOAU documentation did I find any reference to performance characteristics or
performance-enhancing advice.

That separate python libraries for z/OS maintain separate python documentation of their
functionality is OK, but then the IBM-specific library websites need to provide the same sort
of automatic linking to the library documentation that the standard python documentation
websites use.  I.E., the IBM-specific libraries need to have their documentation directly
available on the "<library-name>.readthedocs.io" website and linked to from
their specific page on the Pypi indexing website and not just at their github location.

What IBM-specific library? There isn't one!

ISTM that IBM is a day late and a dollar short on application-level
documentation for this language on their systems.

I disagree. Maybe your expectations are unrealistic.

Peter