On Sun, 9 Oct 2022 00:14:48 +0000, Seymour J Metz wrote:

>Prior to MVS-OE, there would have been DCB information in the DSCB for
>existing DASD data sets. There was no card-image default of RECFM and LRECL .
>Perhaps you're thinking of EDIT, for which there were defaults.

In REXX, long ago, prior to SDB. I used to ALLOCATE PATH(whatever) ,
    LRECL(199) RECFM(V,B) ...
and the REXX RTL would choose a reasonable BLKSIZE.

Suddenly, it failed.  I went to SR, who recommended a PTF targeted for JES but
which worked.  SR explained that selecting BLKSIXE in the REXX RTL had been
disabled in order to let SDB operate, and SDB for JES (and presumably PATH)
unconditionally defaulted to BLKSIZE(80).  SR then recommended that I shoulc
never default BLKSIZE; an ironic consequence of SDB.

--
gil