From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Harminc [t...@harminc.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 10:56 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: GTTERM assistance

On Tue, 1 Nov 2022 at 17:16, Colin Paice <colinpai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I read that IBM was going to drop SNA in a future release os z/OS ,
> if so would it be wise to continue down this path?

I can't imagine that IBM is going to "drop SNA" any time soon - too much
still depends on it, and it's hard to see the upside. They might as well
drop JCL or TSO. Anything that talks to a 3270 (except local non-SNA
channel-attached) is using SNA. What they could do is to write a purely TCP
version of TCAS, and slide it in the same way TSO/VTAM existed in parallel
with TSO TCAM 40-ish years ago. But this would still have a bunch of the
SNA attributes to it.

What has for all practical purposes already been dropped is "SNA on the
wire". There are no more Front End Processors (3705 and descendants) , and
I haven't seen an actual LAN Channel Station (LCS) or even an emulation of
one for many years. I think the newer (OSA) interfaces till support SNA,
but is anyone using them that way?

So how does SNA traffic get onto a network in the modern world? I think the
only practical answer is encapsulating it in IP traffic, and I think that
means Enterprise Extender and such.

In any case, there's nothing wrong with writing SNA programs for fun. The
OP said nothing about marketing it.

Tony H.