True.

Yet... why is space still such a big deal on mainframes?  I have almost as much disk space connected to my primary PC as 10,000 3390-9 would hold.

Seeing a 3390 with 150,000 free cylinders does take some getting used to.

It's time to use this brainpower for better things than optimizing the arrangement of angels on a pinhead.  Just throw more hardware at it and move on.  A 4 TB disk is the equivalent of almost 5,000,000 3390 cylinders, or 500 3390-9s.  How much DASD can you add in the disk array for the price (salary) of one additional storage management person?

/Leonard