Seymour J Metz wrote on 11/25/2022 6:23 AM:
You have 80 terabytes?

At least.  You can get there pretty fast with 10 and 12 TB disks, in pairs for backup purposes.  But the pressure is on to switch to Linux because I'm just about out of drive letters on Windows, and I already have some disks with no drive letters using Windows mount points.

One reason is IBM's refusal to accept and implement the SHARE requirement to
support FBA in MVS for both access methods and IPL.

I've long wondered why.  And in the 1980s (I think), IBM actually had a disk for s370 which was FBA, but only supported by DOS/VS.

I'd also ask why IBM didn't provide ACB/RPL support for all access methods,
with compatibility and reverse compatibility interfaces as necessary, such as
were present in OS/VS1 and VSE.

I'd also like to know why.  If they had done that, a lot of changes (such as the DCBE kludge) to non-VSAM access methods for 31 bit support would have been unnecessary because ACBs are 31 bit clean.

It's a shame that IBM dropped TSS; moving it to FBA would have been a piece of
cake.

The grand irony of course is that VSAM and its cousins (Linear, PAGE, PDSE, ZFS) use FBA layered on top of CKD emulated on FBA. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this is nuts?

/Leonard

--
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
http://mason.gmu.edu/~smetz3