From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Gord Neill
Sent: 24 November 2022 20:55
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: To share or not to share DASD

G'day all,
I've been having discussions with a small shop (single mainframe, 3 separate
LPARs, no Sysplex) regarding best practices for DASD sharing.  Their view is
to share all DASD volumes across their 3 LPARs (Prod/Dev/Test) so their
developers/sysprogs can get access to current datasets, but in order to do
that, they'll need to use GRS Ring or MIM with the associated overhead.  I
don't know of any other serialization products, and since this is not a
Sysplex environment, they can't use GRS Star.  I suggested the idea of no
GRS, keeping most DASD volumes isolated to each LPAR, with a "shared string"
available to all LPARs for copying datasets, but it was not well received.

Just curious as to how other shops are handling this.  TIA!

Gord Neill | Senior I/T Consultant | GlassHouse Systems

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN