But its not just a case of whether you trust they will not intentionally damage something, but the ease of accidentally causing integrity problems by not knowing when others have touched catalogs, volumes, or datasets on DASD that is physically shared but not known to be shared by the Operating System.  If many people are involved, the coordination procedures involved to prevent damage, assuming such procedures are even feasible, are a disaster waiting to happen.

 If volumes are SMS, all datasets must be cataloged and the associated catalogs must be accessed from any system that accesses those datasets.   If the systems are not in a relationship that enables proper catalog sharing, access and possible modification of the catalog from multiple systems causes the cached versions of catalog data to become out of sync with actual content on the drive when the catalog is altered from a different system, and there is a high probability the catalog will become corrupted on all systems.

Auditors are justified in being concerned whether independent RACF databases on multiple systems will always be in sync to properly protect production datasets from unintentional access or unauthorized access if test LPARs share access to production volumes.  There should always be multiple barriers to doing something bad because accidents happen -- like forgetting to change a production dataset name in what was intended to be test JCL.

There are just two many bad things that can happen if you try to share things that are only designed for sharing within a sysplex. The only relatively safe way to do this across independent LPARs is non-concurrently:   have a set of volumes and a catalog for HLQ's of just the datasets on those volumes that is also located on one of those volumes, and only have those volumes on-line to one system at a time and close, and deallocate all datasets and the catalog on those volumes before taking them offline to move them to a different system.

A much simpler and safer solution is to not share DASD volumes across LPARs not in the same sysplex, to maintain a unique copy of datasets on systems where they are needed, and to use a high-speed communication link between the LPARs to transmit datasets from one system to another when there is a need to resync those datasets from a production LPAR.

Joel C Ewing