From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] on behalf of
Tony Harminc [t...@harminc.net]
Sent: Tuesday, December 6, 2022 9:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Computers

On Tue, 6 Dec 2022 at 07:30, Steve Beaver <st...@stevebeaver.com> wrote:

> DSS.  Data Set Services

Presumably he doesn't mean *that* DSS. Dynamic Support System was an OS/VS
standalone debugger that allowed setting breakpoints, displaying storage,
and so on, including in dodgy places like SVC routines and interrupt
handlers. While using its console command interface the entire OS was
suspended.

IIRC DSS came along with SVS and VS1, and was continued into MVS, but not
for long. To invoke it you'd set a magic byte in low storage, and then hit
the Restart key. Of course people wrote little started tasks that would set
the byte and fake the Restart interrupt to make it easier to use.

Tony H.