Thanks all! Let's see if I can do one big reply.

> Difficult to avoid HTML
Yeah, with some re-programming (see next answer) I could go to HTML Not the
best use of my time, but I can do that.

> Did I try the HTML?
Yes, If I add the following to the e-mail then GMail accepts it.

" "    /* Watch out -- null lines kill EXECIO */

But that screws up the formatting of the email because it becomes flow-together
HTML rather than individual monospaced lines. (Does what I am saying make
sense?)

> Service bureau ...

It is an LPAR on a service bureau machine. I have complete control over the
LPAR, but it is talking to some SMTP gateway that I do not control. I am not an
SMTP expert ...

> @Phil ...

Thanks for the link. Duh. I did not think to Google the error. But lots of
complainers there; no resolution that i saw.

> I would suspect a need to further configure due to some newer gmail
> requirements

Me too, but what?

Charles