I wouldn't stray outside of IBM-1047 for OMVS other than ISO8859-1. Are you sure your issue is not server side with Jetty? I would try setting the -Dfile.encoding=ISO8859-1 java option. I would also strongly suggest using the JZOS batch launcher and not BPXBATCH for running Java programs unless you need a custom shell script.