On 15/12/22 00:11, Paul Peplinski wrote:
David,

This whole process has been a massive learning experience. It started out being the
"simple" task of getting a java11 jar running on the mainframe so we didn't
have to stand up Linux servers. Oh, and have a CICS COBOL program talk to it (POST) using
JSON.

I had never written EXEC CICS WEB or TRANSFORM code before, nor worked with
DFHJS2LS or created JSON schemas.

Was it a good experience?

I have now gotten the POST to work while leaving my OMVS process in CP1047 and
not using the jetty encoding java option. I've never worked with jetty either.

Are you already using Jetty with a servlet? Most vendors have moved to Spring Boot which embeds the web server into the application. Spring Boot is supported in CICS https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/cics-ts/5.6?topic=java-spring-boot-support-in-cics.

Currently, the jar is running under BPXBATCH in a job. I plan on converting it
to a started task. Hopefully that will honor START and STOP commands.

We have JzOS batch launcher but I have never used it. Why is that preferable to
BPXBATCH?

JZOS runs EVERYTHING on a zIIP if available
JZOS can be configured in MVS data sets
JZOS is locally spawned so can use configuration using DD: syntax
JZOS handles START/STOP commands
JZOS handles modify commands

BPXBATCH really sucks.

Paul