I can't answer your specific query, but when I added the hyperref package,
TOC entries became links, and I could add http: and mailto: links, such as
as

\href{http://www.latex-tutorial.com}{LaTeX-Tutorial} and I suspect there is
syntax for an internal \href that I haven't found yet. I have used PDFs
that seem to be made by LaTeX and which manage it, anyway.

I included this after the title page bumph and before the \begin{document}
line:-

\usepackage{hyperref}
\hypersetup{

colorlinks=true,

linkcolor=blue,

filecolor=magenta,

urlcolor=cyan,

pdftitle={Overleaf Example},

pdfpagemode=FullScreen,

}

I am still a novice, but that above gave me something I can work with. That
was in a book i.e. using something like

\documentclass[12pt, a4paper]{book}

I still haven't found out if any other documentclass supports a TOC and
\chapter (as well as \section ), but I have a funny feeling {report} does.

Roops