From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Tony Harminc
Sent: Wednesday, 4 January 2023 10:55 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] ICKDSF

On Tue, 3 Jan 2023 at 15:16, Pommier, Rex <rpomm...@sfgmembers.com> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Don't you simply mean converting the IXVTOC to an OSVTOC - ie an
> unindexed VTOC?  If my old memory cells are recalling correctly, a
> CVOL was an ancient version of a VSAM catalog from before the ICF catalogs
> existed.

CVOL is a non-VSAM catalog (that is, it is not itself a VSAM dataset, and it
cannot point to VSAM datasets). It was the only kind of catalog prior to OS/VS
back in the 1970s, and it continued in common use well into the 1990s. Perhaps
more strictly, it is the *volume* that contains such a catalogue that is the
CVOL (Control Volume). The catalog is a CVOL Catalog.

That ancient *VSAM* catalog was the only kind of VSAM catalog in the early
days, and was a design disaster for a bunch of reasons. It was replaced long
ago by the ICF (Integrated Catalog Facility?) catalog, which with some tweaks
is pretty much what we have today.

Regardless, these various catalogs have nothing at all to do with VTOCs,
indexed or not.

Tony H.