On Thu, 12 Jan 2023 20:45:29 +0000, Sri h Kolusu wrote:

>As Steve smith pointed out it Is your EQUALS parm that is limiting the number
>of records to be sorted.  Do you really need EQUALS ( which is retain the
>order of duplicates). ?  If you don't need it then you can pass NOEQUALS as an
>option

My guess about the (OCO?) implementation is that this restriction arises from a
technique of appending a 32-bit fictitious key to each record on input and
removing
it on output.

Is 32 bits an optimum choice?  A larger pseudo-key would have some impact on
performance and reduce the maximum supported LRECL.

And Tom Brennan's fiendish test case would still break it.  Perhaps "max
records"
should be a PARM option -- 2**32 is a good compatible default.

A few contributors have suggested SPLIT; SORT ...; MERGE.  If EQUALS is
(truly!?) needed, would that technique meet the need?

--
gil