>> UTF-8 is a variable-length encoding.  Is the length of a key field specified
>> in characters or in octets?

Check this link which explains how DFSORT process Unicode data.  Search for
(UTF-8/16/32) in the link below

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos/2.5.0?topic=descriptions-dfsort-data-formats

>> I suppose there's little to gain by acceleration when  file size=0.

32 MB is the bare minimum requirement for Sort accelerator.

>> Does it suffice to have DCB=LRECL=25 even though no record exceeds 24 bytes
>> in length?

Yes, it would, but status of the job would be depending on the option VLSHRT
which pads short records with binary zeroes.

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation